Friday, March 15, 2013

More Swimming....


There’s something to be said about swimming more when you’re a swimmer....to help benefit your race as a whole. People have been telling me since I started racing triathlons that I should swim more than I do. I didn't see the point. I've been a swimmer for 20+ years; I’m never going to get to the point where I’m swimming as much as I was in college, or even high school for that matter (nor do I want to be swimming 7,000+ yards a day). I can get in the water and swim a sub-30 or sub-60min swim with not a whole lot of effort. I just can, I've been swimming forever and it's just a part of me. I need to be swimming to do those times, don’t get me wrong, I can’t just get in the water and throw down those times, but I don’t need to be swimming 4-5 days a week at 7,000 yards a pop. That’s the nature of being a competitive swimmer for so long.

However, I have been swimming more consistently in the past two months or so and I can’t say that I've gotten much faster in the water (maybe decreased T-pace by 5 seconds-ish), but I sure do feel stronger and more consistent. And that's something isn't it!? Having a coach on deck that provides challenging practices as well as a few other swimmers in the pool pushing you along helps as well. 

I could still swim those times I mentioned earlier and maybe a bit faster, but with much less effort than it would have taken me last year. And that’s super important when you have two more disciplines to complete after you get out of the water. Only time will tell as races are about to commence for the season. But I’m excited about where my swimming is at and where it will be come race time.

Bubbles,
Lectie

No comments:

Post a Comment