Saturday, April 5, 2014

Big Island Riding

We decided to stay on the Big Island for a couple extra days after the race to take advantage of the riding and make it more of a vacation and not just a trip for a race.

Monday we decided to meet up with our friends Mariane, Tim, Art and Corin and ride the Kona south loop. Aaron and I have done this loop once before and it was by far my most favorite ride ever...I think I've found a new favorite ride (we'll get to that in a bit). What a great ride! 50 miles from Kona, to Holualoa bike trail (I think that's what this was called), to Kealakekua Bay, and back to Kona. Finished with and Acai bowl at Baski Cafe (if you've ever in Kona and want a break from Lava Java check this place out for fresh, delicious smoothies or acai bowls).



Tuesday we ventured North from Mauna Lani to Hawi (hello wind!), up and over the Kohalas (my new favorite ride!!!) to Waimea, down to Kawaihae (that's a loooong 10 miles down) and back to Mauna Lani. 65 miles of awesome. I wish I could do this ride ALL THE TIME. So peaceful, beautiful and full of climbing, love, love, love. I was hesitant about this ride, not sure what the climb was going to be all about, but I'm in love! The smells, the country, the open roads, the cool weather, the serenity..I could go on and on...where was this positive bike energy on Sunday!? I digress.
I could get used to this
A successful trip to the Big Island...I'll be back in a few weeks for BOCA training weekend and I cannot wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment