Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Down Time

It's been just over a week since the marathon and I've been using that time to recover. It's been....interesting. To quote Michelle, "Marathon recovery takes a while... especially if you had to dig super deep (which in the last 6 miles I sure did)! Be patient and go easy for a while and you'll be back to being springy in another week or two. Push workouts that are too hard too early and you might feel fine for a day or two but then those efforts come back to bite you in the ass like a week later."

Recovery and down time are tricky things for me. I know it's a necessary part of training, it's the time your body needs to rebuild and rejuveniate after all the stress we've put on it for such a long period of time, but actually doing that proves difficult sometimes. While in the middle of long, hard training blocks, I look forward to this period of time when I can do what I want, when I want. A time in which I don't need to be so rigid or hard on myself if I miss a workout or just don't feel like doing it at that particular time. But when it comes down to it, do I dare say it, I really do love training and racing. It's sometimes hard to balance recovery and hard training, but it's something everyone needs to learn how to do in order to maxamize their training and get the results we all work so hard for.

I'm definitely not ready for the hard workouts to start just quite yet, I mean it's only been a week, but I do miss the consistency. A week or so more of some low key workouts and down time and I'll be ready to get back into it and start preparing for CdA!

Something fun that happened on Sunday since I didn't have to go on a 3 hour run or 3+ hour bike ride....Dave and I had a day of non swimbikerun fun. One of our friends brought us to Dim Sum (small bite-sized or individual portions of food traditionally served in small steamer baskets or on small plates. Dim sum is also well known for the unique way it is served in some restaurants, wherein fully cooked and ready-to-serve dim sum dishes are carted around the restaurant for customers to choose their orders while seated at their tables), something we've talked about doing for a really long time, but never had the time/never made the time because of workouts and such. And it was delicious and wicked inexpensive, I think the three of us ate (a ton) for less than $30! I'll definitely be back.

After Dim Sum we decided to go try Bubble Drinks. I've heard about these bubble drinks ever since we've been in Hawaii, but have never tried them. Well, I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing that I haven't tried them before because it was mmmm mmmmm good. If you don't know what a bubble drink is or you've never had it....try it! Bubble drinks are usually a cool, refreshing sweet drink with tapioca pearls sitting on the bottom of a clear cup.  If you are a texture person, you might not enjoy this drink, but I'm a fan.  I've heard there are good places to go to enjoy these drinks and there are no so good locations, I can't remember what the place we went to was called, but it was in China town.

After that excursion we did a little Christmas shopping and headed home, it was a great day and some wonderful down time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment